Saturday, September 06, 2008

Bill Whittle Makes a Rare Appearance...

....at National Review Online, and he's optimistic about the GOP's chances of retaining the Whitehouse. Two years ago, just after the 2006 election, I wrote this post and expressed some optimism that the GOP would learn its lesson and that the Democrats might just behave responsibly, having regained control of Congress. I have been disappointed on both counts. But with the nomination of Sarah Palin this week, I have reason to share Bill's optimism. The nomination sends a very strong message that John McCain does "get it" and that he is already doing something about it. Bill Whittle:
"John McCain got me to believe tonight what I never really believed about him before: he is serious about changing Washington. He is serious about getting the GOP back to basics. John McCain wants to repair the brand. Claiming to want to do something is talk. What I think will cause many to believe him is something more than talk: McCain decided to man up. It’s our fault. We lost the confidence of the American people. We said we’d be true to our principles, and we weren't. The Democrats didn't make us do it. We did it to ourselves.

That has the ring of truth to it. It is a grownup accepting responsibility for a mistake not of his making and asking for the chance to rectify it. I don’t know how much of the country will believe him. But I did."
"We did it to ourselves." They say that the first step in dealing with a problem is to recognize that you have one. John McCain gets that. He has taken that first step for the GOP. It's late in the game, but maybe not too late. "I don't know how much of the country will believe him. But I did."

I do too.
Share |

No comments: