Saturday, March 25, 2006

Poking Around at FFZ

I went up to Falcon Field today to shoot a few touch and goes to stay current. The FBO called while I was on my way there to tell me the plane I had booked had just been grounded for a maintenance issue. There was no other airplane available so I didn't get to fly and decided to shoot a few pictures instead. It was as great day for that as it was for flying, perfect weather and lots of activity. In the space of 15 minutes I saw this beautiful Stearman, a Russsian Yak, a B-25, a Twin Beech and a candy-apple red Aeronca Champ.



It was some consolation for not getting to fly myself but after 30+ years of it, I'm used to this happening once in a while. I'd rather wait and fly another day than take off in an aircraft that's having issues.



The Stearman and the Yak took off one right after the other and immediately broke to the left, almost right over where I was standing and giving me a perfect profile for the pictures. Showoffs. I think I'm going to have to find out who owns these babies and chat them up a little. Who knows. I might be able to cadge a ride out of them.




I haven't seen this B-25 around FFZ before. I suspect it's visiting the Commemorative Air Force Museum down at the other end of the field.

Posted by Picasa
Share |

No comments: